Sunday, August 23, 2009

pics from Equinox Hill Climb, near Manchester, VT

I had a fantastic time, and got to know a little of the area which I was unfamiliar with. The Manchester area is truly a wonderful destination. Paul Ripley found the German accomodations for us. Owner of motel was german guy - he put on a mean breakfast with homemade german breads, homemade granola and muesli (not the "crap stuff made with sugar you get in supermarkets" as he described it Grin ).
Got up Friday after horrendous downpour. Thunder and Lightning show. It was like a celestial shootout with semi-automatic lightning bolt guns.
Met Jens and Heidi Moller at motel followed by Mark Morrissey and Paul. Jim Garfield arrived "sans whaletail", as he was putting on a ducktail in the parking lot, that Jens had brought down. Once cleaned up, we headed for town to meet Joe Gawlik, for a nice steak dinner.
Sat was hillclimb, then visit to Steve Bauer's place (a local and buddy of Joe's) to see his RSR type race car built on a 64 tub I believe (by a previous owner) but with trick RSR parts, and liteweight balsa panels. Raced in anger, to be sure. Sweet sound.
Then, left for home. My wife's tii was my ride, as my car has a starter issue. And in true fashion, the tii ended up stuck in 3rd. So Joe helped my bring it across town, to the shop of local BMW vermont chapter president. Then Mark Morrissey kindly gave me a ride home in his SC backdated to vintage racer. It has no sound deadening at all. Hence the earplugs necessary. And he thinks he can convince his wife to ride with him to Virginia for Valley Rally :D. Mark I think the muffler change idea you have might be in order !! Mark's car is very impressive, and a credit to him.
Many thanks to Paul and Jim for organizing, and to Joe for helping me out with a car issue, so many miles from home.
Jens and Heidi came a long way just to say hello, and always enjoy meeting and seeing what you have done to your car.
Below are pics of the gathering ...

Jens+Heidi's car with tangerine lid
Mark + Jens with one of the myriad steering wheels that Mark brought
Paul walking past Mark's car
Heidi and her car
Paul + myself

No comments: